Monday, December 5, 2011

DAWN - redux


I was able to find the time to read through part I of Dawn. I thought it was an interesting take on alien life and society.

In the opening chapter, I was under the impression that Lilith was being held by a government agency, CIA, FBI. I began to grow a feeling of aggravation towards her captors in the way they were treating her. Not even considering answering any questions that she had about the predicament she was in, leaving her in utter silence at times, silently making her pass out and operating on her body.

It wasn’t until a few pages of misery and sporadic isolation later when I realized I was totally wrong about her captor, about their intentions, and position in government.

Jdahya’s kidnapping was quite heroic. Saving Lilith and other humans from the global massacre that was occurring on Earth. This is why she required long periods of isolation, they needed to cool her down and prepare her for the shock that would come when she was revealed to the world she is now a member of.

Jdahya’s alien race seemed very odd to me. The use of tentacles as sensory organs was an interesting concept, it is foreign to think of any living creature without having eyeballs. I began to think about how Jdahya saw the world around him, what would it look like if you could see in 360 degrees and then some? The multiple uses of the tentacles to encompass touching and hearing was well thought out. I also appreciated how he was able to remain completely still for long periods of time. It was a subtle characteristic that improved his alien quality. However interesting Octavia’s concept was of this species, I thought it could use some further development. I do not understand why a species that have the ability to breathe underwater would live primarily on land and maintain a primarily aquatic appearance. I guess I am not at liberty to say though, I haven’t read through the entire book. These qualities must come into play later in the novel.

It was interesting how Jdahya described his race as being ‘Traders.’ The idea of trading makes the alien seem a little more human, as it is significant practice by the human race and key to the development of our species. Their items of trade seem to be different, however. The cuts and scars on Lilith’s body were from surgical operations in hopes to remove her cancer, not only for her survival, but also for their own biological reasons.

The ship the Traders pilot is alive, which is cool but could use some development as well. How does it survive in the vacuum of space? Again, I have to finish the book. I loved the environment Lilith was exposed to upon her exiting her isolation chamber. The organic quality of the ship was refreshing in contrast to the drab environment I felt that was experienced within her cell.

Overall I thought Butler conceptualized a different approach to our outlook on alien life and society as well as the future of our human race.

No comments:

Post a Comment