Monday, December 5, 2011

Frankenstein




Frankenstein is one of those subjects that I don’t feel I can really get into because I’ve heard the story so many times. But that’s just me. From a creative standpoint, it’s a great story. Mary Shelley did a fantastic job at creating a monster never seen before, as well as having it seem not so impossible of actually happening.
I remember when I was younger and found out that ‘Frankenstein’ did not refer to the monster, but the scientist in the book, and ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’ was the correct terminology for the spliced up body of flesh. Being able to correct my peers on their misnaming of the monster was one of my proudest moments of my childhood, among other things.
In a way, not only did Shelley create the thought of a “failed science experiment” running lose or better yet, “successful science experiment” she created a basic concept of zombies. But also made a direct point to beware of playing God, everyone needs to be loved, and looks aren’t everything.

Side note: Shelley was 18 when she wrote this. That’s crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment