Monday, December 5, 2011

A Game of Thrones


Upon ceaseless recommendations from friends and hearing reviews about the series on HBO, I decided to pick up A Game of Thrones. Upon opening it, I was immersed into the world quite well. However, due to the sheer amount of pages I was only able to start reading this novel, in hopes of finishing it at a time when I will be less busy with school.
The character development is spectacular, as Martin sets aside a chapter to focus on each character perspective of the story. I did get sort of clumsy when it came to transitions of new characters. The importance of family is made apparent in the first few chapters of the book.
One quote that stuck with me was in the first chapter when Bran and his brothers went with his father to execute a man. When he tells his dad how Robb said the man died bravely but Jon said he was afraid and how he replied saying “the only time a man can be brave is when he is afraid.” I thought it was cool how the king’s family accepted Jon Snow into the family. And, his dire wolf pup represents a bastard child, outcast by many, much like Jon himself.
            I am quite interested in completing this novel and watching the television show. I hope to do so over winter break, then, I’ll have to get started on the rest of the series… So many pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment