Monday, December 5, 2011

The Twilight Zone



I am surprised how we didn't cover The Twilight Zone in this class. It has such a great mixture of sci fi and horror elements, brought to you with great story telling. (Also, it is now streaming on Netflix.) It’s a very strong series, influencing many notable Sci Fi and Horror writers, and I would not consider it as mainstream as other renown sci fi shows.
            The episodes run for around 20-30 minutes a piece, and have some thrilling stories packed in. I was originally introduced to the Twilight Zone by my dad when I was younger, back then, the most terrifying episode to me was Nightmare at 20000 feet. Now I would have to say it’s the one with the doll who has a mind of it’s own (Living Doll). Dolls scare the hell out of me, those, and clowns. Stephen King’s “It” is a no go for me. I saw it once when I was younger – never again.
            The Twilight Zone does a good job trying to capture the essence of what the future may hold, but is a little too eager on the timing. For instance, in the episode titled “Steel” features Robots created for boxing matches (Boxing is banned because of the violence.) Boxing Robots, Battle Bots, are futuristic, yes (kind of), but the episode is based in 1974 (broadcasted in ’63). Jumpin’ the gun a little bit.
            However, this does not hinder The Twilight Zone from telling captivating stories.
Fun Fact: Rod Serling passed away in my home town of Rochester, NY. Rest in peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment